Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Saving Glass

I disinfected, washed, dried, packed and stored a whole lot of canning jars today. It was very satisfying. I've been acquiring them 'thrifting'. Thifting is sort of an all encompassing word. Amanda Blake Soule, whose blog and books I adore, uses it to mean shopping at secondhand stores, tag sales, junking (a sort of curbside sifting act), hand-me-downs, church benefit sales, freecycling, craigs list and so on. In other words... resourceful adoption of trash to treasure principle.

After washing my new old jars and looking them over, I figured in my head that the dozens of freebie jars I'd salvaged probably saved me on the order of 30 dollars in new ones. As I learn to preserve more things, I'll continue to need more of these, especially as I figure for the number of jars that become gifts filled with scrumptious yummies for friends. I hope they will eventually find their way back for refills. It would be sad if the 60 cent jars are going to the recycle bin, or worse yet, the landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment