Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Dematerializing: Taming the Power of Posessions (book review)

I loved the opening of this book! She connects our obsession with things to primal desires and draws links to fairy tales and legends. She puts commercial advertisements in light of the promises made for spells and elixirs in stories far flung and ancient, only with the dire moral warnings excised. It draws some interesting connections about who we are with and without our stuff and how the things we give purchase to in our lives always come at a cost.

Then the rest of the book became somehow belabored for me. I'm not sure why but it was like maybe an online advice column that went on for a hefty volume. The introduction had held so much promise though! It was enough to spark some thought trains of my own about meaning and value and the intentions or desires behind the things themselves.

Well, I'm likely to declutter the book, but if I ever want to read the entrancing opening again, I'll borrow it or buy it as an e-book.

No comments:

Post a Comment